SeungYeon Kang Applied Physics, G1
Fun facts on soft matter
Good references: Polyelectrolytes in Solution and the Stabilization of Colloids : 
Final Project: Fire Retardant Polymers
- “Flame-retardant”/ “Flame resistance”: understood to be resistant to catching on fire, but level of resistance varies
- Implied meaning: self-extinguishing
- “Flame-retardant” does NOT mean noncombustible
- Risk still present in materials (but lower than in other materials)¹
- Clothing: fire-retardant for a certain length of time. Usually a short length of time in casual clothing. Higher level of resistance required in fire fighter uniforms.
- children’s sleepwear / Casual shirts, pants, etc. / Fire fighting overalls
- construction: “Fire doors” and other materials in buildings to retard fire.
General Material Properties
- Different ways to describe material behavior, among other tests, you can test for:
- Ease of ignition / Flame spread / Fire endurance / Fuel contribution / Smoke evolution
- Can get a different perspective of material from different tests on small, medium and large scales depending on which property is most important for the application.