The packing of granular polymer chains
Original entry: Sujit S. Datta, APPHY 225, Fall 2009.
L. N. Zhou, X. Cheng, M. L. Rivers, H. M. Jaeger and S. R. Nagel, Science 326, 408 (2009).
granular, polymer, packing, glass transition, jamming
- Random packings of spheres (jammed) are rigid and resistant to shear
- How do flexible granular chains jam?
- Find: as chain length increases, density and coordination number decreases -- but, still jammed
- Long floppy chains partition into groups of small loops (which have more rigidity) that then jam
- Strengthens possible connection between jamming of granular materials and polymeric glass transition: similar dependence on chain length, topology, stiffness