On the faculty of Princeton University starting Fall 2009.
233. Imbibition in geometries with axial variations. Mathilde Reyssat, Laurent Courbin, Etienne Reyssat, Howard A. Stone, J. Fluid Mech. vol. 615, 335–344, 2008.
234. Controllable Microfluidic Production of Microbubbles in Water-in-Oil Emulsions and the Formation of Porous Microparticles. Adv. Mater. 20, 3314–3318, 2008, Jiandi Wan, Alexander Bick, Matthew Sullivan, and Howard A. Stone
235. Energy absorption in a bamboo foam A. Le Goff, L. Courbin, H. A. Stone and D. Qu´er´e, EPL, 84 36001, p1-p5, 2008.
236. Short-Time Dynamics of Partial Wetting.James C. Bird, Shreyas Mandre, and Howard A. Stone, PRL, 100, 234501, 2008.
237. Motion of large bubbles in curved channels. Metin Muradoglu, and Howard A. Stone, J. Fluid Mech., vol. 570, 455–466, 2007.
238. Interfacial Polygonal Nanopatterning of Stable Microbubbles. Emilie Dressaire, Rodney Bee, David C. Bell, Alex Lips, Howard A. Stone, Science, vol. 320, 1198 (2008)
239. On the thickness of soap films: an alternative to Frankel’s law. Ernst A. Van Nierop, Benoit Scheid, Howard A. Stone, J. Fluid Mech., 2008, vol. 602, 119–127.
240. Electrohydrodynamic size stratification and flow separation of giant vesicles. S. Lecuyer, W. D. Ristenpart, O. Vincent, and H. A. Stone, Appl. Phys. Lett., 92, 104105, 2008
241. Influence of Substrate Conductivity on Circulation Reversal in Evaporating Drops W. D. Ristenpart, P. G. Kim, C. Domingues, J. Wan, and H. A. Stone, PRL 99, 234502, 2007
242. Dissolution Arrest and Stability of Particle-Covered Bubbles Manouk Abkarian, Anand Bala Subramaniam, Shin-Hyun Kim, Ryan J. Larsen, Seung Man Yang, and Howard A. Stone, PRL 99, 188301, 2007
243. Imbibition by polygonal spreading on microdecorated surfaces Laurent Coiurbin, Etinenne Denieul, Emilie Dressaire, Marcus Roper, Armand AjdariI, Howard A. Stone, Nature Materials, vol. 6, 661-664, 2007
244. Single-particle Brownian dynamics for characterizing the rheology of fluid Langmuir monolayers M. Sickert, F. Rondelez and H. A. Stone, EPL, 79, 66005-66005, 2007.
245. Reactive spreading and recoil of oil on water Ernst A. van Nierop, Armand Ajdari, Howard A. Stone, Phys. Fluids, 18, 038105, 2006
246. Impact, puncturing, and the self-healing of soap films Laurent Courbin and Howard A. Stone, Phys. Fluids, 18, 091105, 2006
247. On the dynamics of magnetically driven elastic filaments Marcus Roper, Re´mi Dreyfus, Jean Baudry, M. Fermigier, J. Bibette, H. A. Stone, J. Fluid Mech, vol. 554, pp. 167–190, 2006.
248. Microstructure, Morphology, and Lifetime of Armored Bubbles Exposed to Surfactants Anand Bala Subramaniam, Cecile Mejean, Manouk Abkarian, and Howard A. Stone, Langmuir, Published on Web 04/05/2006
249. Non-spherical bubbles Anand Bala Subramaniam, Manouk Abkarian, L. Mahadevan, Howard A. Stone, Nature, Vol 438, 930, 15 December 2005
250. Microscopic artificial swimmers Re´mi Dreyfus, Jean Baudry, Marcus L. Roper, Marc Fermigier, Howard A. Stone & Je´roˆme Bibette, Nature, Vol 437, 862-865, |6 October 2005
251. Mechanism for Flow-Rate Controlled Breakup in Confined Geometries:A Route to Monodisperse Emulsions Piotr Garstecki, Howard A. Stone, and George M. Whitesides, PRL 94, 164501, 2005
252. Controlled assembly of jammed colloidal shells on fluid droplets Anand Bala Subramaniam, Manouk Abkarian, and Howard A. Stone, Nature of materials, Published online: 5 June 2005
253. Formation of monodisperse bubbles in a microfluidic flow-focusing device Shelley Anna, Nathalie Bontoux, Howard A. Stone, Appl. Phys. Lett., 85, (13), 2004
254. Characteristic lengths at moving contact lines for a perfectly wetting fluid: the influence of speed on the dynamic contact angle Jens Eggers and Howard A. Stone, J. Fluid Mech., 2004, vol. 505, pp. 309–321.
255. Geometrically Mediated Breakup of Drops in Microfluidic Devices D. R. Link, S. L. Anna, D.A.Weitz, and H. A. Stone, PRL, vol. 92, (5), 2004
256. Three-dimensional lubrication model of a contact line corner singularity L. Limat1and H. A. Stone, Europhys. Lett., 65 (3), pp. 365–371 (2004)
257. Liquid Flow through Aqueous Foams: The Node-Dominated Foam Drainage Equation Stephan A. Koehler, Sascha Hilgenfeldt, and Howard A. Stone, PRL, 82(21), 4232-4235, 1999
258. Surface Morphology of Drying Latex Films: Multiple Ring Formation Leonid Shmuylovich, Amy Q. Shen, and Howard A. Stone, Langmuir, vol. 18, 3441-3445, 2002
259. Formation of dispersions using ‘‘flow focusing’’ in microchannels Shelley L. Anna, Nathalie Bontoux, and Howard A. Stone, Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 82, No. 3, 2003
260. On lubrication flows in geometries with zero local curvature. H.A. Stone, Chem. Eng. Sci. 60, 4838-4845, 2005
261. Controlled Assembly of Jammed Colloidal Shells on Fluid Droplets. A. Bala Subramaniam, M. Abkarian and H.A. Stone , Nature Matls. 4, 553-556. 2005
262. Mixing in a drop moving through a serpentine channel: A computational study. M. Muradoglu and H.A. Stone, Phys. Fluids 17, 073305-1-9, 2005
263. Stability of a flat gas-liquid interface containing non-identical spheres to transport of gas: Toward an explanation of particle stabilization of gas bubbles. R.S. Subramanian, R. Larsen and H.A. Stone, Langmuir 21, 4526-4531, 2005
264. Monodisperse double emulsions generated with a microcapillary device. A.S. Utada, E. Lorenceau, D.R. Link, P. Kaplan, H.A. Stone and D.A. Weitz , Science 308, 537-541, 2005.
265. Grooving of a grain boundary by evaporation-condensation processes: Surface evolution below the roughening transition. H.A. Stone, M. Aziz and D. Margetis, J. Appl. Phys. 97, 113535-1-6, 2005
266. Mechanism for flow-rate controlled breakup in confined geometries: A route to monodisperse emulsions. P. Garstecki, H.A. Stone and G.M. Whitesides , Phys. Rev. Lett. 94, 164501-1-4, 2005
267. Engineering flows in small devices: Microfluidics towards a lab-on-a-chip. H.A. Stone, A.D. Stroock and A. Ajdari , Ann. Rev. Fluid Mech. 36, 381-411, 2004
268. The role of feedback in microfluidic flow-focusing devices. M.T. Sullivan and H.A. Stone, Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A (2008) 366, 2131-2143, 2008
269. Non-coalescence of oppositely charged drops. W. D. Ristenpart, J. C. Bird, A. Belmonte, F. Dollar and H. A. Stone, Nature 461, 377 (2009)
Added for AP225 Fall 2010
HS270. A. G. Bick, W. D. Ristenpart, E. A. Nierop, and H. A. Stone, "Bubble formation via multidrop impacts," Physics of Fluids 22 (4), - (2010);
HS271. C. K. Hua, I. S. Kang, K. H. Kang, and H. A. Stone, "Steric effects of ions in the charge-related wetting phenomena," Physical Review E 81 (3), - (2010);
HS272. R. E. Pepper, M. Roper, S. Ryu, P. Matsudaira, and H. A. Stone, "Nearby boundaries create eddies near microscopic filter feeders," J R Soc Interface 7 (46), 851-862 (2010);
HS273. H. A. Stone, "Interfaces: in fluid mechanics and across disciplines," Journal of Fluid Mechanics 645, 1-25 (2010);
HS274.D. Vigolo, R. Rusconi, R. Piazza, and H. A. Stone, "A portable device for temperature control along microchannels," Lab on a Chip 10 (6), 795-798 (2010);
HS275. J. de Ruiter, R. E. Pepper, and H. A. Stone, "Thickness of the rim of an expanding lamella near the splash threshold," Physics of Fluids 22 (2), - (2010).
HS276. S. Mendez, E. M. Fenton, G. R. Gallegos, D. N. Petsev, S. S. Sibbett, H. A. Stone, Y. Zhang, and G. P. Lopez, "Imbibition in Porous Membranes of Complex Shape: Quasi-stationary Flow in Thin Rectangular Segments," Langmuir 26 (2), 1380-1385 (2010).
HS277. A. B. Subramaniam, S. Lecuyer, K. S. Ramamurthi, R. Losick, H. A. Stone, "Particle/Fluid Interface Replication as a Means of Producing Topographically Patterned Polydimethylsiloxane Surfaces for Deposition of Lipid Bilayers" Advanced Materials 22 (19), 2142-2147 (2010). [pdf]
HS278. J. C. Bird, S. S. H. Tsai, and H. A. Stone, "Inclined to splash: triggering and inhibiting a splash with tangential velocity," New J Phys 11, - (2009); [pdf]
HS279. E. A. van Nierop, D. J. Keupp, and H. A. Stone, "Formation of free films of aqueous solutions of poly(ethylene oxide): The influence of surfactant," Epl 88 (6) (2009);
HS280. L. Courbin, J. C. Bird, M. Reyssat, and H. A. Stone, "Dynamics of wetting: from inertial spreading to viscous imbibition," Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter 21 (46) (2009);
HS281. B. Scheid, S. Quiligotti, B. Tran, R. Gy, and H. A. Stone, "On the (de)stabilization of draw resonance due to cooling," Journal of Fluid Mechanics 636, 155-176 (2009);
HS282. J. C. Bird, W. D. Ristenpart, A. Belmonte, and H. A. Stone, "Critical Angle for Electrically Driven Coalescence of Two Conical Droplets," Physical Review Letters 103 (16) (2009);
HS283. J. Bico, J. Ashmore-Chakrabarty, G. H. McKinley, and H. A. Stone, "Rolling stones: The motion of a sphere down an inclined plane coated with a thin liquid film," Physics of Fluids 21 (8) (2009);
HS284. M. Reyssat, L. Y. Sangne, E. A. van Nierop, and H. A. Stone, "Imbibition in layered systems of packed beads," Epl 86 (5) (2009);
HS285. A. Lai, N. Bremond, and H. A. Stone, "Separation-driven coalescence of droplets: an analytical criterion for the approach to contact," Journal of Fluid Mechanics 632, 97-107 (2009);
HS286. E. A. Van Nierop, B. Scheid, and H. A. Stone, "On the thickness of soap films: an alternative to Frankel's law (vol 602, pg 119, 2008)," Journal of Fluid Mechanics 630, 443-443 (2009);
HS287. J. I. Park, Z. Nie, A. Kumachev, A. I. Abdelrahman, B. R. Binks, H. A. Stone, and E. Kumacheva, "A Microfluidic Approach to Chemically Driven Assembly of Colloidal Particles at Gas-Liquid Interfaces," Angewandte Chemie-International Edition 48 (29), 5300-5304 (2009);
HS288. E. Dressaire, L. Courbin, J. Crest, and H. A. Stone, "Thin-Film Fluid Flows over Microdecorated Surfaces: Observation of Polygonal Hydraulic Jumps," Physical Review Letters 102 (19) (2009);
HS289. K. J. Humphry, A. Ajdari, A. Fernandez-Nieves, H. A. Stone, and D. A. Weitz, "Suppression of instabilities in multiphase flow by geometric confinement," Physical Review E 79 (5) (2009);
HS920. B. Scheid, S. Quiligotti, B. Tran, and H. A. Stone, "Lateral shaping and stability of a stretching viscous sheet," European Physical Journal B 68 (4), 487-494 (2009);
HS291. H. A. Stone, "Tuned-in flow control," Nature Physics 5 (3), 178-179 (2009); [pdf]
HS292. D. Di Carlo, J. F. Edd, K. J. Humphry, H. A. Stone, and M. Toner, "Particle Segregation and Dynamics in Confined Flows," Physical Review Letters 102 (9) (2009); [pdf]
HS293. K. S. Ramamurthi, S. Lecuyer, H. A. Stone, and R. Losick, "Geometric Cue for Protein Localization in a Bacterium" Science 323 (5919), 1354-1357 (2009).
Added for AP225 Fall 2011:
HS294. J. M. Aristoff, C. Duprat, and H. A. Stone, "Elastocapillary imbibition," Int J Nonlin Mech 46 (4), 648-656 (2011).
HS295. N. Autrusson, L. Guglielmini, S. Lecuyer, R. Rusconi, and H. A. Stone, "The shape of an elastic filament in a two-dimensional corner flow," Phys. Fluids 23 (6) (2011).
HS296. H. S. Chen, J. A. Li, H. C. Shum, H. A. Stone, and D. A. Weitz, "Breakup of double emulsions in constrictions," Soft Matter 7 (6), 2345-2347 (2011).
HS297. H. S. Chen, Ja Li Li, J. A., and H. A. Stone, "Breakup of Double Emulsion Droplets in a Tapered Nozzle," Langmuir 27 (8), 4324-4327 (2011).
HS298. C. Duprat, J. M. Aristoff, and H. A. Stone, "Dynamics of elastocapillary rise," J. Fluid Mech. 679, 641-654 (2011).
HS299. A. M. Forsyth, J. D. Wan, P. D. Owrutsky, M. Abkarian, and H. A. Stone, "Multiscale approach to link red blood cell dynamics, shear viscosity, and ATP release," Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 108 (27), 10986-10991 (2011).
HS300. M. M. Fyrillas and H. A. Stone, "Critical insulation thickness of a rectangular slab embedded with a periodic array of isothermal strips," Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 54 (1-3), 180-185 (2011).
HS301. L. Guglielmini, R. Rusconi, S. Lecuyer, and H. A. Stone, "Three-dimensional features in low-Reynolds-number confined corner flows," J. Fluid Mech. 668, 33-57 (2011).
HS302. D. P. Holmes, M. Roche, T. Sinha, and H. A. Stone, "Bending and twisting of soft materials by non-homogenous swelling," Soft Matter 7 (11), 5188-5193 (2011).
HS303. M. Hultmark, J. M. Aristoff, and H. A. Stone, "The influence of the gas phase on liquid imbibition in capillary tubes," J. Fluid Mech. 678, 600-606 (2011).
HS304. K. Kamrin and H. A. Stone, "The symmetry of mobility laws for viscous flow along arbitrarily patterned surfaces," Phys. Fluids 23 (3) (2011).
HS305. P. Kim, C. Duprat, S. S. H. Tsai, and H. A. Stone, "Selective Spreading and Jetting of Electrically Driven Dielectric Films," Phys. Rev. Lett. 107 (3) (2011).
HS306. S. Lecuyer, R. Rusconi, Y. Shen, A. Forsyth, H. Vlamakis, R. Kolter, and H. A. Stone, "Shear stress increases the residence time of adhesion of Pseudomonas aeruginosa (vol 100, pg 341, 2010)," Biophys. J. 100 (5), 1381-1381 (2011).
HS307. J. Li, H. S. Chen, Y. J. Zhao, M. Guo, J. D. Wan, D. A. Weitz, and H. A. Stone, "Reactions in double emulsions by flow-controlled coalescence of encapsulated drops," Lab Chip 11 (14), 2312-2315 (2011).
HS308. L. Y. Liu, B. Sun, J. N. Pedersen, K. M. A. Yong, R. H. Getzenberg, H. A. Stone, and R. H. Austin, "Probing the invasiveness of prostate cancer cells in a 3D microfabricated landscape," Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 108 (17), 6853-6856 (2011).
HS309. W. D. Ristenpart, A. G. Bick, E. A. van Nierop, and H. A. Stone, "Mechanical Inhibition of Foam Formation via a Rotating Nozzle," J Fluid Eng-T Asme 133 (4) (2011).
HS310. A. C. Rowat, K. A. Hollar, H. A. Stone, and D. Rosenberg, "The Science of Chocolate: Interactive Activities on Phase Transitions, Emulsification, and Nucleation," J. Chem. Educ. 88 (1), 29-33 (2011).
HS311. R. Rusconi, S. Lecuyer, N. Autrusson, L. Guglielmini, and H. A. Stone, "Secondary flow as a mechanism for the formation of biofilm streamers (vol 100, pg 1392, 2011)," Biophys. J. 100 (12), 3054-3054 (2011).
HS312. M. Staykova, D. P. Holmes, C. Read, and H. A. Stone, "Mechanics of surface area regulation in cells examined with confined lipid membranes," Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 108 (22), 9084-9088 (2011).
HS313. A. B. Subramaniam, J. D. Wan, A. Gopinath, and H. A. Stone, "Semi-permeable vesicles composed of natural clay," Soft Matter 7 (6), 2600-2612 (2011).
HS314. S. H. Tsai, I. M. Griffiths, and H. A. Stone, "Microfluidic immunomagnetic multi-target sorting - a model for controlling deflection of paramagnetic beads," Lab Chip 11 (15), 2577-2582 (2011).
HS315. S. Mendez, E. M. Fenton, G. R. Gallegos, D. N. Petsev, S. S. Sibbett, H. A. Stone, Y. Zhang, and G. P. Lopez, "Imbibition in Porous Membranes of Complex Shape: Quasi-stationary Flow in Thin Rectangular Segments," Langmuir 26 (2), 1380-1385 (2010)
Added for AP225 Fall 2012:
HS316. J. D. Wan, and H. A. Stone, "Coated Gas Bubbles for the Continuous Synthesis of Hollow Inorganic Particles," Langmuir 28 (1), 37-41 (2012)
HS317. B. Scheid, E. A. van Nierop, H. A. Stone, "Thermocapillary-assisted pulling of contact-free liquid films" Physics of Fluids 24 (3), (2012)
HS318. I. M. Griffiths, H. A. Stone, "Axial dispersion via shear-enhanced diffusion in colloidal suspensions," EPL 97 (5), (2012)
HS319. A. M. Forsyth, S. Braunmuller, J. D. Wan, T. Franke, H. A. Stone, "The effects of membrane cholesterol and simvastatin on red blood cell deformability and ATP release," Microvascular Research 83 (3), 347-351 (2012)
HS320. C. Duprat, S. Protiere, A. Y. Beebe, and H. A. Stone, "Wetting of flexible fibre arrays," Nature 482 (7386), 510-513 (2012)
HS321. J. Delacotte, L. Montel, F. Restagno, B. Scheid, B. Dollet, H. A. Stone, D. Langevin, E. Rio, "Plate Coating: Influence of Concentrated Surfactants on the Film Thickness," Langmuir 28 (8), 3821-3830 (2012)